Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Little about Greenhouse Glassworks

Since I just started my blog last week, I thought I would give one post about the artwork that I create and a little bit about my background.  Then I will get on to what I am more comfortable writing about….other people, not myself! 


I attended a small private school until 5th Grade in Aspen, Colorado called the Aspen Community School.  One of the main focuses of this school, as I can remember was art, art and more art – plus lots of camping!  I had 2 wonderful art teachers and lots of time working in every media imaginable.  With my own children in public school currently, I realize what a luxury this art education was for me.  What I also realize is that some very bright and successful kids came out of this school, and we didn’t spend every day practicing for standardized tests! (Sorry…I digress…)

My next art educational experience came from an amazing art teacher in Aspen High School by the name of Barbara Smith.  She was an incredibly inspirational and motivational teacher, and the art program I had during high school is one of my best high school memories.  She is the one that introduced me to Prismacolor colored pencils, and to this day I still love my big box of prismacolors!
Below are a couple of my wildflower drawings.  I am most interested in nature drawings, primarily flowers, birds, and butterfies.

  



Here are some of the Gift Tags I sell on Etsy - made from my drawings

Despite all of this wonderful exposure to the arts, I ended up going to college for, and becoming employed as a wildlife biologist.  My love of the outdoors combined with my strong interest in animals led me down this path.  While I have a very fulfilling career as a biologist, I have found that I must also nurture my artistic side to be completely happy.  On the weekends and after work I find great peace in heading out to my glass studio to see what I can create.  I have learned most of what I currently know (which is just the tip of the iceberg) from my very talented mother, who is a wonderful glass artist.  She has spent over 20 years designing large and small custom glass windows and pieces for homes and offices in the Aspen area, and across the country.  I will save more details on her for another Blog post!

Thus far in my glass career I have primarily been interested in designing and constructing smaller glasswork pieces.  I will admit that I have had a hard time focusing on just one area of glasswork.  Glass art is so diverse, and it is all equally addicting!  Below are a few samples of some of my work, including candle holders, suncatchers and fused glass jewelry.  Thanks for looking!





10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, inspiring introduction to you and your gorgeous creations. Looking forward to seeing more of your art. Your pictures are bright and colorful. Blog looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What took you so long? :) Great second blog post, can't wait to meet the others you want to talk about.

    The blog looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks so nice and highlights your pictures beautifully. Loved reading about your background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow beautiful blogging, photos and glass pieces!
    Very talented artist:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drawings are beautiful. Glad art's been in your background for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog fits your personality - full of color and nature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. uniquecozytreasures- Wow! You are really talented. I love those Prismacolor pencils too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much talent! I love those glass pieces too. My Mom did stained glass for years, so I always enjoy looking at it (and through it too).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your drawings are beautiful! Your style is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete